Thursday 13 September 2012

Wenger: I am an Arsenal man


The 62-year-old has declared his loyalty to the north London side but the Gunners boss has refused to look beyond the two years left on his current deal at the Emirates.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has insisted he is in no rush to sign a new contract with the club and claims he would question his position if results do not go his side’s way.


Wenger has been in charge of the Gunners since 1996, winning three Premier League titles, but has seen his side go seven years without a trophy.

"I have two years to go. What is important for me is Southampton and I think I have shown my commitment to this club in the past," he told reporters. "At the moment I am not in the mood to think about the long-term future. We want to do well this season, that's all.

"I am an Arsenal man. I think I have always shown that. I have to consider if I do well or not. If I don't do well, I have to consider my future. I have been at the club long enough to have confidence in the people I work with, but I will assess my own performances and then make a decision, at the moment we are not there. Two years is a long time in my job. I just want to do well for the club as long as I can and accept all the rest."

The manager did admit that his age was becoming a factor, but says he will make his decisions about the future based on how he performs.

"I have to consider that at my age, you always have to assess if you have the fitness, the desire, the commitment that this job demands," he said.

"Then of course you have to make your decisions. I hope I will be lucid enough and intelligent enough to assess my performance well."

No comments:

Post a Comment